Whatca Lookin For???

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Pop-A-Top Cafe


Roughly on the corner on Speight and South Valley Mills Drive at 1601 South 29th street in Waco, is a shady little building with a menu that rivals any other burger joint I've ever been in. I wandered in around 11:30 in the morning toting my 4 year old into a place that looks like it should have sported more Harleys outside than the twenty or so sedans and SUV's that were there.

The first impression of the building is that I took the wrong entrance and ended up in any bar, anywhere in Texas. The smell of stale tobacco and the slight glaze of grease in the air aside, the café was exactly the kind of place I like-filled with Baylor students, Business suits and blue collar workers. If it attracts everyone it must be a good thing.

Once ordered, the food took 8 minutes and 22 seconds to reach the table. However the wait to get served was a tad bit long, but with two servers and 50 odd guests I can understand. The menu was a standard laminated paper listing of the food, with a table topper proclaiming the dinner specials and a chalk board with the lunch specials on the wall near the restrooms.

The first thing to hit me was I was going to have trouble sticking to my budget. Not because the food was overpriced, but because the menu teased me with delightful appetizers and amazing dishes that I really wanted to try. I stuck to my plan and ordered a double patty hamburger with ….RIBBON FRIES!!! I was shocked, real ribbon fries without having to stand in line at a fair and actually getting to sit down to eat them!

The breakdown:

The Hamburger (Double Stacked):

The burger arrived wrapped in a grease laden wrapper on a tin pan surrounded by ribbon fries.

I took out a quarter hung with a knife and gave it to my hamburger hating daughter. With a look of annoyance she bit into it. Suddenly with a "better get the camera out this will only happen once" face she devoured the food.

For a double patty burger most people would be overly full. I recommend that you go for the single stack so you can enjoy your food. Or, if you are brave, they have a 20 patty burger that you can have for FREE if you can eat it and 1lb of fries in an hour. I wonder if they are trying to get food networks attention!

The Fries:

Ribbon Fries! Ohhh Yeahhh! Although I have made a big deal about these so far, they were a little on the not quite done side, and not quite seasoned enough for my tastes. However, a little ketchup and some salt made them excellent.

The Price:

The meal cost me 9.30 with two drinks. Decent, especially for the amount of food you get. Moving down to a single stack and one drink probably would be a great money and belly saving move.

The Judgment:

An excellent place to eat. The atmosphere is rough, however the food more than makes up for it. This is not a place to bring a date unless she or he gets all romantic over ground beef. The specials are quite intriguing, and I will be back for the Friday Night special which is 2 burgers, 2 drinks and 2 fries for 9.99.

Epilogue:

A few items of note:

I will go back and do an appetizer review. Mostly since so many of their offerings caught my eye. In particular the road kill which are pepper jack cheese and chopped BBQ stuffed jalapenos wrapped in bacon. If it comes from a cow, was part of a cow and is stuffed in a spicy fruit wrapped in a pig, it must be good right?

I have already been asked and no I will not be doing the Belly Bomber. I value my stomach and don't want to try to do anything that foolish. Though, I was tempted for all of thirty seconds.


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment